One-in-four businesses do not use data security software

One in four businesses do not use data security software to defend against cybersecurity threats, according to a study from Paychex.

The company’s investigation of 500 business owners and 500 employees, found that 27% of business owners are not using data security software. Of the remaining 73% of companies, 48% said they use on-premise software, 11% leverage cloud-based software, and 14% have both types.

While uptake of these security measures is not high, 81% of respondents stated they were confident their company and customer data were as secure as possible, it said. When asked if the business would recover from a data breach or cyber-attack 84% of businesses believed they could.

Other findings of the report were, 81% said their employees understand the importance of data security, 72% stated they regularly review their data security approach, and 70% claims they have a clear data security policy.

Finally, 60% of companies said they train employees on data security.

Paychex chief information security officer Bradley Schaufenbuel said, “While it’s reassuring to see the majority of business owners are taking the appropriate steps – from employee training to software investments – to defend against the threat of a cyberattack or data breach, it’s not a once and done commitment.

“As the risks of these incidents increase, employers must consistently reevaluate and adapt their security policies and controls to ensure they are as protected as much as possible against the latest types of threats.”


Enjoyed the story? 

Subscribe to our weekly RegTech newsletter and get the latest industry news & research

Copyright © 2018 RegTech Analyst


The following investor(s) were tagged in this article.